Thursday, April 18, 2013

I've been quiet... but life hasn't been.

I've been quiet since we talked about taking Sweet Girl (SG) to the Ranch.  Not because I don't have a lot to say, but because I have SO MUCH to say.  I don't know where to start.  I want to blog more about what we are going through, because I know there are many many other families out there who need to know they are not alone.  Yet, because I am a very open person, I sometimes have a tendency to "overshare" which I am afraid might come across as disrespect for SG's privacy.

We leave for the Ranch on April 26 and have our intake on April 27th.  The day is highly significant... it is the anniversary of the day we first met the kids in Ethiopia.  I'm taking this as a sign from God that this too is a day to celebrate, a chance for hope, healing, and a new beginning.

Last week I talked to a sweet mama whose daughter is about SG's age and also was adopted from Ethiopia.  She spent about 8 months at the Ranch and has now been home with her family for a year.  She is doing well.  This mom encouraged me so much when she said that her daughter came home knowing and believing how much her family loved her, and also knowing so much about the Word of God and what it meant for her life.  Two wonderful things, that I will believe for SG too.

I have so much to say about these last months leading up to this huge decision, about my emotions since we decided, about parenting kids with traumatic histories and attachment difficulties, about the heavy burden of guilt we sometimes carry when "good parenting" and "a loving home" are not enough to heal a wounded heart.  I hope I can put the thoughts swirling around in my head into words.   And I hope those words can encourage others in the thick of parenting kids from hard places.


1 comment:

Pamela Nastase said...

Stumbled onto your blog "on accident." I'll be praying for Kloe. Our family went through something similar, but there were few resources 40 years ago,so things were extremely difficult.

May God heal your precious girl from all the trauma she endured before she came to you. I'll pray those at the Ranch have supernatural insight and wisdom on how to uncover the wounds in a safe way so they can be healed. May Kloe's chains come off quickly and may she learn how to walk in God's freedom and love.

God bless you and your family.